How To Install An Electrical Outlet or Switch Box in Your Storage Shed
The simple steps to install electric "Handy Box" for a light switch box or outlet box or light fixture.
Installing electrical outlet boxes is usually the first step in wiring your shed or basement. Electric outlet boxes hold the outlets, small light fixtures and switches for the lighting.
This article uses the term electrical outlet box and light switch box and handy box interchangeably and will teach you how to install the box, and how to strip and pull the wires into the box and secure the wire to the stud so that you are electrical code compliant and ready to install a light switch, light or electrical outet in your storage shed or basement wiring project.
If you are looking to install an electric outlet read the article How To Install An Electric Outlet.
brief how to
In this article, you will find information about:
- Features Of An
Electrical Outlet Box Or A Switch Box
- Nailing An Outlet Box To A Wall Stud
- Pull the wire to the box, knock out the knockout that is closest to the direction that the wire comes from. Use the screw driver remove the knockout
- Pull the romex wire into the box and let about 8" hang out the front, 10" from the back of the box.
- Electric code requires that the wire be supported within 8" of the outlet box.
- Fold the wires into the box so they will be protected while you install the drywall.
- After the drywall is installed and the walls are painted you will be ready to install the electric outlet. Read the article How To Install An Electric Outlet.